Friday, August 16, 2019

Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco - Book Review

Stalking Jack the Ripper Book Cover
How’s it going everyone. Today, I’ll be reviewing Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco.  This has been a book that I've wanted to read for a long time and I wish I would have gotten to it sooner!

About the Book:
Title: Stalking Jack the Ripper
Author: Kerri Maniscalco
Release Date: September 20, 2016
Series: Stalking Jack the Ripper #1
Genre: Historical
Pages: 337

My Rating: 5/5 ⭐️

Summary:
Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.

Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.

My Thoughts:
I honestly wonder why it took me so long to read this book. This story was just the book I needed to change up what I’d been reading since the beginning of the year. I absolutely adored the book. I love reading mystery books, even though I don’t find a lot of them, this one was no disappointment! Out of all of my guesses when it came to who was Jack the Ripper, a little bit less than halfway through, I figured it out. After I'd stepped away from the book for a moment, my thoughts were constantly running trying to put the pieces together on who could the culprit be? I desperately needed to know who! I ended up guessing the correct character, who shall rename nameless. However, even after I guessed correctly, I was still wondering...  How did Audrey Rose discover the killer and what were their reasons for the killings? This was still a mystery to me and I knew I had to find out.

I loved the little pieces of information that was spread throughout the book. Kerri tried to make the book as close to history as possible when it came to certain details, but it was still fiction, which allowed her to make the story her own. Even though the story is slightly gruesome, this book is a page turner that will keep you guessing until the very end. I needed to know what happened next and putting it down was extremely hard. I will admit, even though I loved the images that were spread in between some of the chapter, there was one image that I saw that made me regret reading this book just before bed one night because it creeped me out (its the page before Chapter 9, so forewarning if you do pick up this book)!

I loved Audrey Rose, she was a kind and strong-headed girl who didn't take no for an answer. Whenever society tried to tell her her place in the world, she kicked it to the curb and was determined to make her mark on the world and work as a forensic scientist. I loved Thomas in this story. His character had amazing, witty banter with Audrey Rose, but he also had a soft side that showed when he did let that wall that he built down. I loved the chemistry between the two characters, it was written perfectly. I honestly can't wait to read the rest of the series, this is one you don’t want to miss out on!

If you're interested in checking out Kerri's pages, the links are below along with places you can get the book.


Make sure to check out my other reviews for the Stalking Jack the Ripper series:

Thank you all so much for reading. I hope you enjoyed my review/suggestion. Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a cool book! I'm a sucker for all things Victorian so this sounds like it would be right up my street 😀 great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's such great read! Let me know what you think of it when you get around to reading it!

      Daniella

      Delete