Friday, August 2, 2019

Serious Moonlight by Jenn Bennett - Book Review

Serious Moonlight Book Cover
How’s it going everyone. Today, I’ll be reviewing Serious Moonlight by Jenn Bennett.  I ended up breaking a little bit from my Summer Reading List because I needed to change up what I was reading, since I'm a mood reader.  So I decided to pick up this book, which was good change of genre from what I had been reading.

About the Book:
Title: Serious Moonlight
Author: Jenn Bennett
Release Date: April 16, 2019
Genre: Romance
Pages: 432

My Rating: 5/5 ⭐️

**CONTENT WARNING:  This book mentions topics of depression and suicide**

Synopsis:
Mystery-book aficionado Birdie Lindberg has an overactive imagination. Raised in isolation and homeschooled by strict grandparents, she’s cultivated a whimsical fantasy life in which she plays the heroic detective and every stranger is a suspect. But her solitary world expands when she takes a job the summer before college, working the graveyard shift at a historic Seattle hotel.

In her new job, Birdie hopes to blossom from introverted dreamer to brave pioneer, and gregarious Daniel Aoki volunteers to be her guide. The hotel’s charismatic young van driver shares the same nocturnal shift and patronizes the waterfront Moonlight Diner where Birdie waits for the early morning ferry after work. Daniel also shares her appetite for intrigue, and he’s stumbled upon a real-life mystery: a famous reclusive writer—never before seen in public—might be secretly meeting someone at the hotel.

To uncover the writer’s puzzling identity, Birdie must come out of her shell…discovering that the most confounding mystery of all may be her growing feelings for the elusive riddle that is Daniel.

My Thoughts:
This was such a cute and entertaining read.  You read from the perspective of Birdie who was just recently hired to work the night-shift at Cascadia hotel in Seattle.  After one small mistake, Birdie ends up running into the one guy she thought she would never see again, Daniel.  I really liked Birdie, she was a very strong-headed character.  She loves books and mysteries, which made me immediately like her.  Over the course of the story, you could see how she changed and grew.  One thing that made this character a little unbelievable was how she was isolated for most of her life, so for her and Daniel to have a sporadic fling was kind of unbelievable.  Birdie didn't have that type of personality, so for this situation to happen seemed far stretched.  Daniel was a very sweet character too.  He loved magic, was funny and charming, but he also had a darker side to him that I never saw coming.

I really liked the mystery aspect.  Daniel wanted to get to know Birdie more and the only way he thought he could do it was to entice her with a mystery that was going on at the hotel.  The mystery wasn't main focus of the story, but when they would go on their crazy adventures.  When the mystery was finally solve, it was the absolute last thing I expected.  But when I think about it, Jenn gave a ton of subtle hints to where this mystery was going, but it wasn't until almost the very end when I was able to connect the dots.  Overall this was a really enjoyable story that I couldn't put down until the very end!

If you're interested in checking out Jenn's pages, the links are below along with places you can get the book.

Thank you all so much for reading. I hope you enjoyed my review/suggestion. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment