Friday, August 30, 2019

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo - Book Review

Shadow and Bone Book Cover
How’s it going everyone. Today, I’ll be reviewing Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo.  I've been interested in reading this book series for a while, but I just hadn't gotten around to reading it until July.  After it was announced that the books were going to be turned into a tv show on Netflix, I decided it was time to jump into this series and see what the book was like!

About the Book:
Title: Shadow and Bone
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Release Date: June 5, 2012
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 368

My Rating: 4/5 ⭐️

Summary:
Soldier. Summoner. Saint. Orphaned and expendable, Alina Starkov is a soldier who knows she may not survive her first trek across the Shadow Fold—a swath of unnatural darkness crawling with monsters. But when her regiment is attacked, Alina unleashes dormant magic not even she knew she possessed.

Now Alina will enter a lavish world of royalty and intrigue as she trains with the Grisha, her country’s magical military elite—and falls under the spell of their notorious leader, the Darkling. He believes Alina can summon a force capable of destroying the Shadow Fold and reuniting their war-ravaged country, but only if she can master her untamed gift.

As the threat to the kingdom mounts and Alina unlocks the secrets of her past, she will make a dangerous discovery that could threaten all she loves and the very future of a nation.

Welcome to Ravka... a world of science and superstition where nothing is what it seems.

My Thoughts:
When I first tried to start this book, it took me a while bit to get into it.  That might have been because I was preoccupied with other things going on, but when I finally had some time, I was able to dive right in to the story.  The storyline of the book was very interesting, I liked how the book had a mix of some the real world 19th Century Russia in addition to magic.  I found the Russian myth in the story interesting, it was different than other myths that are normally included in fantasy stories so it was an enjoyable change.  The world building in the story was phenomenal, I loved the amount of detail in the story, it was so easy to visualize places like The Little Palace, the Shadow Fold, and more.  One thing that I think surprised me was how I wanted to get my hands on the second book.  Even though I enjoyed the first book, I didn't think I was going to pick up the second book, however I was surprised to see how badly I wanted to know what happened next.

In the beginning, Alina was portrayed as a frail girl who was just a simple mapmaker in the First Army.  Suddenly after a life altering event, we find out she is the Sun Summoner, one of the most powerful Grisha in Ravka.  Throughout the story, I liked her character.  I will admit though, the amount of times that she criticized herself did get kind of annoying after a while.  Mal is slightly hard to describe... Even though he is one of the main characters in the story, he was only there for a little bit in the beginning and only reappeared near the end of the story.  He is mentioned several times throughout the book, but it was surprising to see him as a main character and the large role he had.  We see past memories of him from what Alina remembers from their childhood, but it was hard to determine who he was as a character unless you read the rest of the series.  The Darkling was a dark, mysterious and charming character.  From the very beginning, I never trusted him!  He seemed way too easy to trust, and since his name was The Darkling that might have been why was hesitant to believe anything that came out his mouth.  His character relied on fear and charm to get everyone to follow him willingly because he had always done something to win their favor.  Something about his character always rubbed me the wrong way, but I thought his character was very well developed.

One thing I have to mention is the love triangle in the story.  Normally, love triangles don't bother me and I kind of like them (as long as they're done right), however I didn't care for this one.  Even though I knew Alina had strong feelings for Mal and vise versa, he was barely there in the first book.  Then when I found out that suddenly the Darkling has feelings for Alina, it kind of came out of nowhere, there was nothing leading up to show that he had feelings for her, besides the one phrase he said to Alina, "like calls to like."  Overall, I enjoyed reading this book and I'm curious to see how the series ends!

If you're interested in checking out Leigh's pages, the links are below along with places you can get the book.


Thank you all so much for reading this, I hope you enjoyed my review/suggestion. Until next time!

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic review! I really enjoyed this one and honestly am keen on a reread to see how much of my opinions still hold up. Honestly, the first time I read it there was all this hype surrounding The Darkling as a character--and I knew right away not to trust him, not to necessarily like him, but you are so right on him being a well written character! And I agree--Mal wasn't present a lot and felt less like a main character, and the feelings that Darkling had for Alina just... came out of nowhere. Hope you enjoy the rest of the trilogy and am excited to see what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I've debated whether or not if I was going to write a review for the second and third book in the series, still haven't decided yet, but I did enjoy the rest of the trilogy!

      Daniella

      Delete
  2. I just read this series this year and the love triangle didn't work for me either, but it's toned down a little in the other books. I had some issues with the series but I think the second book introduces some new fun characters. Right now I'm on the Six of Crows spin-off series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess! I agree. I noticed the love triangle did tone down in the rest of the series, which was probably for the best! I really enjoyed the newer characters introduced in the last two books, it was fun to see how they were incorporated into the story. I hope you're enjoying the Six of Crows spin-off series!

      Daniella

      Delete