Friday, March 31, 2017

Stalk Me by Jillian Dodd - Book Review

Stalk Me Book Cover
How’s it going everyone! Today, I’ll be reviewing Stalk Me by Jillian Dodd.  I read book almost forever ago, two or three years ago maybe.  My twin, Jordan, suggested this book to me.  She had gotten all seven books on sale for a really good price and told me that I would love the story.  I was starting to develop my reading addiction when she suggested it to me and downloaded it, telling her I would give it a chance. Once I picked this book up, I could not put it and the rest of the series down.  And I ended up reading all seven books within two months.  Anyways, let’s jump into my review.

About the Book:
Title: Stalk Me
Author: Jillian Dodd
Release Date: August 21, 2012
Series: The Keatyn Chronicles #1
Genre: Romance
Pages: 327
Age:  Mature Young Adult

My Rating: 4/5 ⭐️

Summary:
Keatyn has everything she ever dreamed. Her life is following the script she wrote for the perfect high school experience. She’s popular, goes to the best parties, dates the hottest guy, and sits at the most-coveted lunch table.  

She’s just not sure she wants it anymore.

Because, really, things aren’t all that perfect.
Her best friend is threatening to tell everyone her perfect relationship is a scam.
Her perfect boyfriend gets drunk at every party they go to.
It’s exhausting always trying to look and act perfect.
And, deep down, she isn’t sure if she has any true friends.

To add to the drama, her movie star mom has a creepy stalker.
A hot, older man flirts with her and tells her they should make a movie together.
And she’s crushing on an adorable surfer. Dating him would mean committing social suicide.

So she writes a new script. One where all the pieces of her life will come together in perfect harmony. 

But little does she know, there's someone who will do anything to make sure that doesn’t happen.

My Thoughts:
There were only three words that can describe this book, oh my gosh.  This review will probably mention some SPOILERS so beware.  The character interaction was written very well and the entire story makes you feel like you’re Keatyn, living her life, going through her ups and downs.  Keatyn is a very outgoing kind of girl, who just wants to be herself, in terms of trying to script her own life by being popular.  She’s also super confusing because she changes her mind on the flip of a dime.  She tries to follow the crowd and be popular, thinking that’s how she’ll get her perfect script accomplished.  Then tries to be her own independent kind of person by saying she doesn’t need to be like that, until she reverts to her old habits again.

One thing I think I have to mention is Keatyn’s attitude.  In a way, sometimes she’s a little bratty and kind of manipulative to others when she doesn’t get her way.  Because of the story and how it was written, with her parents being famous and how she’s grown up, maybe it’s to be expected?  I’m still unsure of that though.

Some moments that made me question the characters’ age were the characters’ actions.  There were several times the characters drank, but at the high school parties that she went to, it was most likely to happen.  But the strange part was drinking in public like at restaurants, hotels, and other places.  I know 100% that people under the age cannot get access to something like that so easily and pretend that drinking at the age of 16 is normal.  Also, where were Keatyn’s parents for most of the story?  I know she’s 16, but no parent would leave their kid alone for an elongated period of time and allow them to do whatever they wanted.  Especially if she just picked up and flew to another country with a guy, Brooklyn, who’s a little bit older than Keatyn and her neighbor, because they could and have the money to do so.  I know this probably sounds harsh and I don’t want to belittle the book, but this is one of those moments that just make you go … hmmm?

Some of the scripts that Keatyn would write were pretty funny.  It made me laugh because the scripts kind of remind me of writing a book when you’re imagining how to tell your story.  When you think about a specific scene about your character – what they’re going to do, whom they are talking to, and anything else that seems important to the scene that has to happen.  It was like Keatyn was writing out her own daydream in script form in her head.

The stalker part didn’t come into the story until halfway through the book, but there was one thing that made it easy to predict.  A random guy that says he wants to remake a movie that her mother made a long time ago.  I was wondering why she didn’t have warning bells blaring in her head yelling, “Why is this guy, who just recently moved down the street from me, talking about remaking a movie when he has nothing to support his ideas and no one, but himself, to back up his claim?”

Overall, I did like the story.  However, some of the things that I mentioned above were things that didn’t sit right with me when I read this book.  The book is currently free on iBooks and Kindle, so you can be the judge of what you think of the story.

If you're interested in checking out the author’s pages, the links are below along with places you can get the book.


Thank everyone so much for reading this.  I hope you enjoyed this review.  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment