Friday, March 10, 2017

Coven by Lacey Weatherford - Book Review

Coven Book Cover
How’s it going everyone!  Today, I’ll be reviewing Coven by Lacey Weatherford.  Now this book is the sequel to the series Of Witches and Warlocks.  You’ve probably seen the first book that I reviewed back in October The Trouble with Spells if you’re curious or haven’t seen it, I suggest you go and check out that review first.

If you haven’t read the Of Witches and Warlocks series, these two series can be read apart from each other, you don’t have to read Of Witches and Warlocks first before reading Of Witches and Demons.  But I highly suggest reading that series first before reading the second series.  Not only will it make more sense, in my opinion, but also it will be easier to understand who some of the previous characters that are in the story and what happened before jumping into this book.

About the Book:
Title: Coven
Author: Lacey Weatherford
Release Date: April 12, 2015
Series: Of Witches and Demons #1
Genre: Paranormal
Pages: 371

My Rating: 5/5 ⭐️

Summary:
Kenna Mangum was born a witch. She’s always known it -her family has always known it - from the moment she burst into flames in her father’s arms after she was delivered.

Denied interaction with regular society while she was coached into controlling her powers, Kenna has always felt a longing to join the rest of the world and get to experience a “normal” life.

Now her wish is about to be granted.

But when Kenna goes to public school for the first time she meets not one, but two amazing guys, both hiding secrets of their own. Now Kenna fears all chances of “normal” just disappeared.

My Thoughts:
This book series was one of my favorites that I’ve read when I first started to get into my book-reading phase.  In this story, instead of following the life of Portia and Vance, like the previous series, you are now following the life of Kenna, their daughter.  She’s been kept away from society since she burst into flames after she was born, about 16 years before her powers should have developed, which put her in danger.  Now some people don’t like loving triangles, so in case you dislike them, this book is probably not for you.  After Kenna is introduced into the life of high school, she begins to like not one but two guys, Seth and Jett.  Jett being the bad boy while Seth is the good guy in terms of their persona.  I loved this story, the character interaction was great.  One thing that I found funny was the town that they lived in Salem, Massachusetts.  It made me think of the term, hiding in plain sight which made me think of the Salem Witch Trials since that was what Salem was know for.

The author also incorporated that a ghost lives in the house that Kenna and her family currently live in.  I thought it was cool to add more supernatural beings into the story, which left me wondering.  I was curious about the ghost’s role that I ended up letting that question sit in the back of my mind.  By the end of the story, I was so shocked, all I could think was, ‘What!’  With the chaos of everything going on in the story, the ending had a huge plot twist that left me utter shock.  I didn't expect the ending to take that kind of turn and when it happened I stared at the page for what felt like forever before I reread it to make sure I was reading the passage correctly and wasn't imagining things.  Now I really want to get my hands on the second book.  Coven is definitely worth getting as it takes you on an adventure filled with magic and teen romance.  I really suggest reading it, as it is one of my favorites. 

If you're interested in checking out her pages, the links are below along with places you can get the book.

Thank you so much for reading this, I hope you enjoyed this review/suggestion.  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment