Friday, July 8, 2016

Tempting Fate by April White - Book Review

Tempting Fate Book Cover
How's it going everyone!  I hope you're all doing well.  Today, I’ll be reviewing Tempting Fate by April White.  This is the second book in the Immortal Descendants series.  I really loved the first book and the second book just as amazing as the first one.  I absolutely love this series and I’m really looking forward to all of April White’s future books.  Let’s jump right into my review.

About the Book:
Title: Tempting Fate
Author: April White
Release Date: June 29, 2014
Series: The Immortal Descendants #2
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 401

My Rating: 5/5 ⭐️

Summary:
Seventeen-year-old Clocker, Saira Elian is back on the run and being hunted by Mongers. The Descendants of War are amassing power in the 21st century, bent on controlling all the Immortal Descendants. Their attempt to kidnap Saira, a rare Descendant of Time and Nature, reveals just how brazen they’ve become. Archer, the vampire who has loved Saira for over a century, is willing to risk everything to protect her.

When a horrific vision reveals Ringo, thief and loyal companion from 1888, being tortured at the hands of the bloodthirsty Bishop Wilder in a Renaissance prison, Saira and Archer realize there has been a ripple in the river of Time, and they must travel to 1554 to find its source and save their friend. Their rescue mission lures them to the Tower of London, site of the most notorious executions in history, where they encounter the mysterious Lady Elizabeth who is confronting a terrible fate of her own.

The time-traveler, the vampire, and the thief will need all of their skills and ingenuity as they race against time to steal a document that could change the course of history and put the Immortal Descendants at the mercy of the Mongers. Can they stop a madman bent on collecting the blood of history’s most powerful Seer before the executioner’s axe falls?

My Thoughts:
I know I’m going to be gushing over this book, like I did Marking Time, but I loved it so much.  When I got to the part where the author mentioned Doctor Who in the story, I could not stop laughing.  This was one of best things that this book could have, it just really fit the personality of the story!  More ironic is the fact that when I got to the part when Saira compares herself to Laura Croft, I had just bought Tomb Raider earlier that day when I had read that scene.

One character that I’ve grown to like more in the second book is Mr. Shaw, or The Bear, as Saira calls him.  He’s the father figure that Saira needs.  He helps her throughout her quest in this story, trying to protect her like she was his own daughter and teach her things that she will need to survive.  Then there’s Archer and Ringo, the more I read about these two, the more they reminded me of the characters from my own book.  Archer’s over protective demeanor, his love for Saira, and his willingness to wait for her throughout everything that they’ve face is something that I admire in a character.  It shows that when people care about each other, it can last a lifetime.  Ringo, like I said in the last review, is still my favorite.  Ringo is the fun, energetic boy that can be your best friend that you can always count on.  He’s loyal, trustworthy, and especially someone that you know will always have your back, which is why he’s the perfect friend for Saira.  This was another great story in this series and I’m so glad I found the first one.

If you’re interested in checking out April's pages, the links are below along with places you can get the Tempting Fate.



And if you haven’t already, go check out my previous review on April White’s first book, which I suggest you read first called, Marking Time before reading Tempting Fate.

For now, thank you so much for reading this, I hope you enjoyed this review/suggestion and I will see you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment