Friday, November 8, 2019

10 Books I Read When I Was Younger ~ My Bookish Thoughts


Today, I thought it would be fun to walk down memory lane!  I've read a lot of books when I was growing up and I thought it would be fun to share a few of the ones that I remember reading!  As much as I wish I could remember all of the books that I read, which feels like forever ago, I'm going to try to share 10 books that I mainly remember reading.  For the ten books that I have listed, I tried to stick to books that I had read from either 6th grade or below because after 6th grade, I stopped reading and right around the time I started reading again, I had created my blog & had already reviewed those books.  Let's jump right in!

1.  The Sisters Grimm Series by Michael Buckley

This was one of those series that I had to put at the top because this was what started my interest in reading and inspired me to want to become an author!  I was in 5th grade when I was introduced to this series by my 5th grade teacher.  He originally read part of the first book to our class, but it wasn't until I was in 6th grade when Jordan insisted that I start reading this series.  The rest is history, these will always be my most memorable series read.  I have the entire series, including the guide that was written for the series.

2.  The Homework Machine by Dan Gutman

The Homework Machine by Dan Gutman was another book that I read in 5th grade.  My teacher (the same one that I mentioned previously), he took about 5 to 6 kids in our class of 30-32 students (at least I believe was our class size), and grouped them together so each day of the week in the afternoon we would read about a chapter or two of a certain book before we would go home.  My group ended up getting this book and I remember every Tuesday (if memory serves me right) reading this book.

3.  The Nancy Drew series (Yellow-Back Books)

After I started playing the Nancy Drew games, I wanted to read the books because most of the games that Jordan and I played were more or less based on the books. Even though there was only a few of them at our school library, they were very hard to find on the shelf, I remember reading 3 of them: The Hidden Staircase, The Secret of the Old Clock, and The Secret of Shadow Ranch. Luckily, I do have the entire yellow back series after we found them at Costco, but I need to read the rest of them! It's been way too long since I read this series.

4.  The Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black

The Spiderwick Chronicles was a series that I read in 4th Grade.  I remember scouring my teacher's book shelves in the classroom and with all of the books to choose from, I decided to read this series and I remember really enjoying it.

5.  Magic Tree House Series

This series was kind of a no-brainer that I had to include on this list since this was a main series that I read when I was younger. Whenever I needed a quick book to read in order to increase my A.R. goal, this series was the one I ran too and would speed read in order to bump my percentage up. It rarely worked, on occasion, but I still tried!

6.  Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

In 6th grade our teacher gave us the choice of a few different books to read for our class, with the other choices being Little Woman and another book, that I can't think of off the top of my head, our class selected Number the Stars by Lois Lowry.

7.  Stuart Little by E. B. White

I have this book sitting upstairs on my shelf that I had gotten at a Scholastic book fair when I was really little. I still have the little sticker that they would glue inside the book where you would write your name. It feels like I read that book forever ago.

8.  The Puppy Place Series by Ellen Miles

This was one of the first books that I remember wanting to read only because of the cute and adorable puppy on the cover, it was also at the Scholastic Book fair. I do have a few of the books in the series, but this was one of the first I read!

9.  Pick of the Litter by Bill Wallace

This was another book that I remember getting at a Scholastic Book fair, but it wasn't until a few years later when I picked this book up to read, but I remember taking it with me when I knew that I was going to be waiting for a long period of time.

10.  Superfudge by Judy Blume

It's funny how I got this book. Before a lot of the funding got cut to schools, I got this book when I was in 4th grade. One of the teachers would drive around a book trolly and for your Birthday and you could choose one of the books on the trolly as your gift. Out of all the books that I saw, this was the only book that caught my eye.


Thank you all so much for reading!  Looking back on the books that I read then, compared to now, it's surprising to see everything that I had read.  I'm honestly glad that I ended up getting back into reading because I don't know what I'd do without it.  Tell me, what books did you read when you were younger?  Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment