Friday, January 25, 2019

Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young - Book Review

Sky in the Deep Book Cover
Hello everyone.  Sorry for not having a post last week. Since school's started up, my blog might be taking the back burner for a while until March, but hopefully I can write a few posts between now and the next 6 weeks.  Today, I’ll be reviewing Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young.  I got this book during the Cyber Monday sale back in November of 2018 and I had been saving this book to be my first book read of 2019.  I had extremely high hope for this book, being the first book I read during the New Year, and there is no doubt about why I'm super glad I saved this book for this year.

About the Book:
Title: Sky in the Deep
Author: Adrienne Young
Release Date: April 24, 2018
Series: Sky and Sea #1
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 352

My Rating: 5/5 ⭐️

Summary:
OND ELDR. BREATHE FIRE.

Raised to be a warrior, seventeen-year-old Eelyn fights alongside her Aska clansmen in an ancient, rivalry against the Riki clan. Her life is brutal but simple: fight and survive. Until the day she sees the impossible on the battlefield—her brother, fighting with the enemy—the brother she watched die five years ago.

Faced with her brother's betrayal, she must survive the winter in the mountains with the Riki, in a village where every neighbor is an enemy, every battle scar possibly one she delivered. But when the Riki village is raided by a ruthless clan thought to be a legend, Eelyn is even more desperate to get back to her beloved family.

She is given no choice but to trust Fiske, her brother’s friend, who sees her as a threat. They must do the impossible: unite the clans to fight together, or risk being slaughtered one by one. Driven by a love for her clan and her growing love for Fiske, Eelyn must confront her own definition of loyalty and family while daring to put her faith in the people she’s spent her life hating.

My Thoughts:
Before I started reading this book, I had several people I follow tell me how much they loved the story.  And let me tell you, this book definitely lives up to the hype!  I love the world building in this story, it was so unique and different from books that I've read in the past that I was instantly hooked.  I really like the Viking aspect of the story.  It made me extremely interested in the war that was between the Aska and the Riki clan, I wondered if they would ever come to terms with each other or if they would continue to fight each other forever until one clan was dead. The storyline was amazing as well, I was literally sucked in from the first page and I had to keep reading to find out what happened next and keep reading until the very end.  In addition, the story was written was perfectly.  There was something about the writing that took me in and made the book come to life when I was reading, which made this book even better.

Eelyn was an amazing character, she's a strong warrior and is a very likable character.  You could see how betrayed Eelyn felt when she discovered Iri was still alive, after she felt like she was the reason why he was dead.  Eelyn also showed a ton of growth throughout the story that I really liked.  Fiske was a cold and tough character in the beginning when you first meet him, but as time goes on he becomes a very sweet and caring character. The romance that Eelyn and Fiske had in this story was a slow burn romance and I thought it was perfect. It wasn't forced and the connection these characters had, from hating each other changed to being friends and soon turn into a romance that I immediately loved.  Overall, Sky in the Deep is definitely a book that I think everyone should read. I'm looking forward to more of her work and her new book, The Girl the Sea Gave Back, that comes out this year.

If you're interested in checking out Adrienne Young's pages, the links are below along with places you can get the book.


Thank you all so much for reading this, I hope you enjoyed my review/suggestion. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment