Tuesday, January 4, 2022

My 2022 Reading and Book Blogging Goals


Happy New Year! With another year behind us all, this means that I'm looking forward to 2022 and what's to come this year. As many of you may know, most normal people make "resolutions" for things that they would like to achieve in 2022.  However, book lovers wait to annually set up our Yearly Reading Challenge! That's right, I'm here to talk about my 2022 Reading Challenge and my Book Blogging Goals, my current plan to accomplish it, and potentially what books I'd like to read throughout the year.  Without further ado– let's get started!

My 2022 Reading Goals
After the last two years, my reading goals have basically tanked. With reading slumps plaguing me for two summers and college out of the way, I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with my reading goal after leaving it neglected throughout most of the year until the very end.

This year, I have two reading goals I'd like to complete:


1. Read a Total of 25 Books
Last year, I read a total of 20 books. It wasn't my best, but I know I can do better. Which is why I'm going to be making sure I make time to read my towering TBR. My ultimate downfall has been my summer reading slumps and I would like to stop repeating this new yearly cycle. My plan is to read one book at a time (nothing more, nothing less) and take 1-2 days in between before starting my next book if I feel like I'm going to experience a reading burnout.

Last year, I feel like I kept pushing myself to pick up my next book immediately when I wasn't interested in reading, which caused my sever reader burnout. In addition, last year my college work was getting overwhelming since I was constantly working on homework from when I first woke up until I went to bed. However, I'm a 2021 college graduate so no more homework for me. *Hopefully* I won't experience that kind of burnout ever again. But now I get new life challenged to experience, so we'll see where that takes both Jordan and I.

2. Read More Backlist than New Releases
Last year, I read 7 backlist books and 13 new release books. Even though I loved all of the books I read last year, I would love to change that this year. I have a ton of unread books on my shelves from 2021 and later, both hardcover and eBook, and I'm making it my mission to read more backlist books than new releases. There are some new releases that I know I'll pick up immediately when they come out, but as long as I mainly read more backlist, that's all that matters.

This year, I'm attempting the Beat the Backlist Reading Challenge hosted by Austine Decker. I'll will be writing a different post announcing my participation, books I'm going to try to read, and more. I just found out that there is no official sign-up required, which I actually like because I feel there is no pressure in having to sign up. So I hope you're all looking forward to that post!


In addition to my reading goals, I have some blogging goals too. I was extremely lazy when it came to blogging in 2021 to the point of where I almost quit, which I won't get into at the moment because it was just a heat of the moment phase.

My 2022 Blogging Goals
Last year, in a sense, I took a temporary blogging hiatus, with the exception of my Monthly Wrap-Ups since those I can easily write. I let my blog slack always saying that I would work on it later, I didn't have the time, and I would avoid it all together to play games (mainly The Sims 2, which Jordan, my twin sister, can attest to since she knows I have a slight addiction to the old classic game at the moment). This year, I only have one blogging goal. It's a very simple goal in order to help me write and not feel the undeniable pressure that I felt last year, which led to my blog growing dust.

My blogging goal is to write at least one to two reviews every month. Whether they're short and sweet or long and lengthy. I want to write reviews I'm happy with. I try to avoid spoilers in my reviews, but I feel like over the last year, I would get so paranoid between what some consider a spoiler vs. what I consider a spoiler, it was so much pressure to appease everyone that it put so much stress on me. I felt like I was walking on egg shells writing reviews, which led to them being so similar to each other, that I felt like I was re-writing the same thing over and over again with minor changes.

So this year, I'm going to try to write my book reviews more freely, and only take potential big storyline spoilers into consideration while writing, since I don't want to spoiler major plot points in my book reviews. This will definitely lift a heavy weight off of me and my writing and I'm looking forward to catching up on my backlogged book reviews.


Thank you all so much for reading! What are your reading goals for 2022? Are you using Goodreads or another bookish app to monitor your progress? Are you using a reading journal or using an excel spreadsheet? What's your first book of 2022? Let's chat!

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment