Friday, August 20, 2021

A Deal with the Elf King by Elise Kova - Book Review

A Deal with the Elf King Book Cover


Hello friends! Today, I’ll be reviewing A Deal with the Elf King by Elise Kova. It's been a little bit since I've shared a book review so I though it would be fun to share a book that I read last year and loved. In December 2020, I was hitting my annual end-of-the-year reading slump and since I had a few more books to read to make my goal, I knew I needed to find a book that could easily capture my interest! I decided to browse Amazon, I came across a sponsored ad for A Deal with the Elf King. Since the description said, "Perfect for fans of A Court of Thorns and Roses," I immediately bought the book and dove right in!

About the Book:
Title: A Deal with the Elf King
Author: Elise Kova
Release Date: November 6, 2020
Series: Married to Magic #1
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 343

My Rating: 5/5 ⭐

Summary:
The elves come for two things: war and wives. In both cases, they come for death.

Three-thousand years ago, humans were hunted by powerful races with wild magic until the treaty was formed. Now, for centuries, the elves have taken a young woman from Luella's village to be their Human Queen.

To be chosen is seen as a mark of death by the townsfolk. A mark nineteen-year-old Luella is grateful to have escaped as a girl. Instead, she's dedicated her life to studying herbology and becoming the town's only healer.

That is, until the Elf King unexpectedly arrives... for her.

Everything Luella had thought she'd known about her life, and herself, was a lie. Taken to a land filled with wild magic, Luella is forced to be the new queen to a cold yet blisteringly handsome Elf King. Once there, she learns about a dying world that only she can save.

The magical land of Midscape pulls on one corner of her heart, her home and people tug on another... but what will truly break her is a passion she never wanted.

My Thoughts:
This was my first Elise Kova story that I've read and I loved it. It immediately hooked me from the first page and I could not put it down. I loved how A Deal with the Elf King gave me ACOTAR vibes when it came to how Luella ended up getting stuck in a sticky situation with the Elf King. I could definitely see how Eldas and Luella had similarities to Rhysand and Feyre, even though their characters are completely different from them. I think it's easy to say that A Deal with the Elf King was one of my favorites that I read of 2020. The world building and the idea of how this world of Midscape is controlled by magic intrigued me and I loved how the land needed a human queen, touched by magic, in order to prosper and thrive. This book also gave me minor Beauty and the Beast vibes, but this book was it's own story.

Luella was a very strong character, she didn't let anyone control her and she always made a path for herself. In addition, she was super caring and always tried to help, which I love in characters. When it came to the Elf King, Eldas, he was a very mysterious and slightly dark character who has a soft spot. I love how Eldas and Luella's relationship grew throughout the story. You could see how their relationship changed from distaste to understanding and caring and it made the story so much more enjoyable. The romance between their characters felt so natural and easy to get into, I wish I could read more of their story. Overall, I definitely recommend adding this book to your TBR. It is a fantastic standalone book and I cannot wait to read the next book in the series A Dance with the Fae Prince, which comes out on August 19, 2021.

If you’re interested in checking out Elise’s pages, the links are below along with a link so you can get a copy of A Deal with the Elf King. 


Thank you all so much for reading. I hope you enjoyed my review/suggestion. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment