Monday, December 14, 2020

Crave by Tracy Wolff - Book Review

Crave Book Cover
Hi friends. It's been a little bit since I've been able to sit down to write a review, with several of them currently way overdue.   So today, I’ll be reviewing Crave by Tracy Wolff. A while back, I'd seen quite a few people talking about Crave before it came out. Since I wanted to change up my reading a little, back in April and I decided to pick up Crave and see for myself if it was worth the hype.

About the Book:
Title: Crave
Author: Tracy Wolff
Release Date: April 7, 2020
Series: Crave #1
Genre: Paranormal
Pages: 592

My Rating: 3/5 ⭐️

Summary:
My whole world changed when I stepped inside the academy. Nothing is right about this place or the other students in it. Here I am, a mere mortal among gods... or monsters. I still can’t decide which of these warring factions I belong to, if I belong at all. I only know the one thing that unites them is their hatred of me.

Then there’s Jaxon Vega. A vampire with deadly secrets who hasn’t felt anything for a hundred years. But there’s something about him that calls to me, something broken in him that somehow fits with what’s broken in me.

Which could spell death for us all.

Because Jaxon walled himself off for a reason. And now someone wants to wake a sleeping monster, and I’m wondering if I was brought here intentionally—as the bait.

My Thoughts:
To be honest, I have mixed feelings about this book. After I'd seen a few other book bloggers I follow rave about it, I wanted to give it a try. The synopsis of the story seemed intriguing and I wanted to see if this book would surprised me. The setting was probably one of my favorites. The story takes place in the Alaska mountains, isolated from society. I thought it was cool to have a book set in a new location that was different from other books I've read in the past. I loved the intricate detail of the castle/school where students attended. I would love to explore every single passageway of the school. When it comes to the different paranormal creatures that attended, it was definitely cool to think about all of the different creature that may have looked normal at first, but then later showed off their abilities. My favorite character throughout the whole book as Grace's cousin, Macy. For most of the book I kind of just wanted to know about her witchcraft. I enjoyed the mystery of this book as well. When it came to Grace, she and Jaxon had this weird connection to each other and I was curious to know who was using her as bait.  However, I will admit, it was kind of obvious who was trying to instigate problems, which made the mystery fall a little flat for me.

Now, for the things that I didn't like about the book... For this book being upwards of almost 600 pages long, everything in this story takes place during a very short period of time. If I remember correctly, this book takes place during the span of a week. Personally, I think it was way too fast. With everything that happened to Grace, I felt like it should have taken place over a longer period of time like a few months. This leads to my next issue with the story... This was an insta-love type story. Normally, I enjoy insta-love type stories as long as their written a certain way, but this went from an "I-hate-you" vibes to head over heels to mates. Another issues that I had in this book was Grace's internal monologue. I know Grace is supposed to be a teenager, 17 almost 18 years old, but no one talks in abbreviated text messages. That was one of the most annoying things for me. The only way this wouldn't have bugged me was if she was texting on her phone, but for internal monologue, I felt like it was lazy and then I had to spend some time looking up some of the abbreviations since I don't know all of them. In all honesty, I wasn't the biggest fan of this story. I don't know if I'll pick up the next book in this series, but only time will tell if I change my mind later.

If you’re interested in checking out Crave for yourself, the links are below.


Thank you all so much for reading. I hope you enjoyed reading my review. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment