Saturday, May 30, 2020

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson – Book Review

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour Book Cover
Summer is in the air and that means it's time to dive into those summer reads! Today, I’ll be reviewing Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson.  Back in February, I went through a mini reading slump because of school & my very limited time to read, so I decided to take a look at my TBR and this book stood out to me immediately as something that I needed to finally pick up.

About the Book:
Title: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
Author:
 Morgan Matson
Release Date: April 23, 2010 
Genre: Contemporary
Pages: 384

My Rating: 5/5 ⭐️

Summary:
There were three things Amy Curry didn’t expect out of senior year. First: her father’s death. Second: her mother’s decision to relocate to the East Coast. Third: Roger Sullivan.

After her father’s sudden death, Amy’s mom has decided to start anew—in Connecticut, just before the start of senior year. And she’s decided that it’ll be Amy’s job to get the car from California to Connecticut.

The only problem? Amy hasn’t gotten behind the wheel since the car accident that took her father’s life.

Enter Roger, a family friend, tasked by his mother to help Amy drive across the country. Amy’s not pleased to be driving across the country with a boy she barely knows, but as Amy gets lost on her cross-country adventure, she must confront the past she’s running from, come to terms with the grief of losing a parent, and learn how to open her heart in order to find herself again.

My Thoughts:
This was such a fun and entertaining contemporary! This book definitely gave me summer vibes and it was such a different experience when it comes to contemporary novels that I've read in the past. As someone who's previously moved during the summer, I was definitely familiar with the whole "being stuck in the car forever" feeling that Amy and Roger had while driving.  I loved all of the detours that they took, each one was very unique to Amy or Roger's life, which was a ton of fun to see and I loved seeing the little mementos in Amy's scrapbook spread throughout the book in addition to the playlists that were created for their trip, which made the story even more real. Amy was a very quiet character who kept to herself. For the last several months, nothing had been going her way. I loved seeing her grow throughout the story and overcome the hardship she faced during the rough few months. Roger was a college kid that strived for adventure.  He was a very down to earth character, who had the ability to help Amy when needed a slight push. With this duo, they were both able to overcome so much with each other, not only with Amy's problems, but Roger's as well.  They had a slow burn type of romance with very good chemistry. Overall, this was a very cute and enjoyable read!

If you’re interested in checking out Morgan’s pages, the links are below along with places you can get Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour.


Thank you all so much for reading. I hope you enjoyed my review/suggestion. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment