Friday, May 8, 2020

Romanov by Nadine – Book Review

Romanov Book Cover
Happy Friday! I hope you’re all having lovely day. Today, I’ll be reviewing Romanov by Nadine Brandes. It's been forever since I was able to review a book after taking a very long break, but I'm ready to jump back in!

About the Book:
Title: Romanov
Author: Nadine Brandes
Release Date: May 7, 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 352

My Rating: 3/5 ⭐️

Summary:
My name is Anastasia... The history books say I died... They don’t know the half of it.

Anastasia “Nastya” Romanov was given a single mission: to smuggle an ancient spell into her suitcase on her way to exile in Siberia. It might be her family’s only salvation. But the leader of the Bolshevik army is after them, and he’s hunted Romanov before.

Nastya’s only chances of saving herself and her family are either to release the spell and deal with the consequences, or to enlist help from Zash, the handsome soldier who doesn’t act like the average Bolshevik. Nastya has only dabbled in magic, but it doesn’t frighten her half as much as her growing attraction to Zash. She likes him. She thinks he might even like her.

That is, until she’s on one side of a firing squad... and he’s on the other.

My Thoughts:
This was a very interesting story. I wasn't very familiar with the history of the Romanov family, but I was intrigued to see how this tale was going to be spun. You read from the perspective of Anastasia. She’s a strong-willed and brave girl who dealt with so much throughout the book. I immediately felt sorry for her and the situation her family was in, not knowing if they were going to be rescued from their captors or if they were left to die. Most of the book focused on Anastasia and her family's life in captivity. This part of the book was very slow paced. I kind of wish it went a little faster, because it felt like certain scenes dragged on and there was nothing to propel the story forward. When the same thing continued day after day with very little changed as they waited for something to happen, it never came. It was as if the book tried to build up suspense, but it fell flat. It wasn't until after the firing squad scene when things started to pick up a little.  I found Zash's character interesting.  He was sometimes cold, but caring once he lowered his defensive barrier.  I enjoyed seeing Zash and Anastasia's relationship grow throughout this book.  Overall, this was an okay book, but I still enjoyed reading it.

If you’re interested in checking out Nadine’s pages, the links are below along with places you can get Romanov.

Thank you all so much for reading. I hope you enjoyed my review/suggestion. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment