Friday, August 18, 2017

Captivate by Vanessa Garden - Book Review

Captivate Book Cover
How’s it going everyone! Today, I’ll be reviewing Captivate by Vanessa Garden.  I got this book back in May during one of my normal searches for new books.  It was originally free in iBooks, but the prices have changed since then, so I was lucky to get my hands on this book when I did.  When I saw this book, I reminded me of another book cover that I'd seen another author use and when I read the description, I thought it would be a great read, even though I thought this book was about mermaids, when in reality this book was about an underwater city.  Anyways, let's jump right in!

About the Book:
Title: Captivate
Author: Vanessa Garden
Release Date: August 10, 2016
Series: The Submerged Sun #1
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 278

My Rating: 5/5 ⭐️

Summary:
In a glittering underwater world, where danger lurks behind beauty and power...

For the past twelve months since her parents’ death, seventeen-year-old Miranda Sun has harboured a dark secret — a secret that has strained the close relationship she once shared with her older sister, Lauren. In an effort to repair this broken bond, Miranda’s grandparents whisk the siblings away on a secluded beach holiday. Except before Miranda gets a chance to confess her life-changing secret, she’s dragged underwater by a mysterious stranger while taking a midnight swim.

Awakening days later, Miranda discovers that she’s being held captive in a glittering underwater city by an arrogant young king named Marko.

Nineteen-year-old Marko intends to marry Miranda in order to keep his crown from falling into the sinister clutches of his brother, Damir. There’s only one problem. Miranda is desperate to return home to right things with her sister and she wants nothing to do with Marko. Trying to secure her freedom, Miranda quickly forms an alliance with Robbie — Marko’s personal guard. However, she soon discovers that even underwater, people have secrets too, dangerous secrets...

My Thoughts:
I loved reading this story.  It was very captivating.  Miranda was a very strong-willed character in this story.  She was determined to do everything in her power to get home, even if that meant playing along with Marko and his sister's, Sylvia, plans.  When Miranda was kidnapped, for some strange reason, I thought her captor was a merman.  Nope.  Originally, I thought this book was about a girl getting taken to an underwater mermaid city.  I was wrong and luckily I wasn't alone when I interpreted the description of the story.  I did see a few other reviews mentioning the same thing, so I was happy I wasn't alone in my confusion after reading the description, but I guess I just need to read the descriptions of stories a little bit more thoroughly in future.  The underwater world that this story took place was beautiful.  I would love to see this world for myself if it were real!

Marko was very arrogant in the beginning of the story.  As time went on, Marko did became nicer and very sweet, until he was a little heartbroken when he discovered Miranda's plans and that she wanted to go home.  Marko's best friend, Robbie, was a very sweet character.  He was nice, kind, and he knew where Miranda came from and how she kind of felt since they were both taken from land, even though they were taken because of two completely different situations, while Miranda wanted to go home, while Robbie wanted to stay.   Marko's older sister, Sylvia, was terrifying.  The way she acted throughout the story made me believe that she was evil, since she did reference feeding Miranda to the sharks quite a few times.  Even though she cared for her younger brother, something about her made me wonder.  The only way I'll know for sure on where she stands is when I get my hands on the next book.  I loved the storyline, it was written really well and I loved all of the detail that was put into the book.  I definitely suggest reading Captivate.  It will keep you hooked until the very end.

If you're interested in checking out her page, the link is below along with places you can get the book.


Thank you guys so much for reading this, I hope you enjoyed this review/suggestion.  Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment