Friday, February 21, 2020

Killing November by Adriana Mather - Book Review

Killing November Book Cover
How’s it going everyone. Today, I’ll be reviewing  Killing November by Adriana Mather.  This was the final book that I was able to read in 2019 and I'm so glad I saved this as my last book of the year.  I previous read her debut book, How To Hang a Witch back in 2018, I knew I needed to pick this one up as soon as possible.

About the Book:
Title: Killing November
Author: Adriana Mather
Release Date: March 26, 2019
Series: Killing November #1
Genre: Mystery
Pages: 411

My Rating: 5/5 ⭐️

Summary:
November is as good as dead. She just doesn't know it yet.

At the international Academy Absconditi, there's no electricity, no internet, and an archaic eye-for-an-eye punishment system. Classes range from knife throwing and poisons to the art of deception. And the students? All silver-spoon descendants of the world's most elite strategists--training to become assassins, spies, and master impersonators.

One is a virtuoso of accents--and never to be trusted. Another is a vicious fighter determined to exploit November's weaknesses. And then there's the boy with the mesmerizing eyes and a secret agenda.

November doesn't know how an ordinary girl like her fits into the school's complicated legacy. But when a student is murdered, she'll need to separate her enemies from her allies before the crime gets pinned on her... or she becomes the killer's next victim.

My Thoughts:
I absolutely loved this book! Killing November is a story full of lies, deceit, and mystery, that keeps you turning the page until the very end. The story immediately jumps right into the action of when November wakes up at Academy Absconditi. She has no memory of how she got there and no idea what she is about to walk into.  This story constantly kept me wanting to know more, especially since it seemed like everyone was keeping secrets.  I really enjoyed the writing style of the book.  The detail made it easy to envision the world and the academy.  I thought the pace of the story was done really well, it wasn’t too fast of too slow.

One thing that was slightly frustrating (sometimes in a good/bad way), since you read from November's point of view, is how no one tells you anything!  There were times when the other characters would dance circles around pieces of information because of the school rules and how information in this world was very powerful.  At some points, I wished November would shake some of the characters in the story to just spit it out!  There were a few flashbacks in the story that I didn't care for.  I felt like the transitions between the present and flashback were slightly rough because of how quickly they went from the current scene to immediately jumping into the past, with the only indication of the flashback was the italicized paragraphs.

November was a typical high schooler when we first meet her.  She's honest and trusting, which had its downfalls when it came to who she could truly trust at the academy (especially with a killer on the loose who was determined to end her life), but there were some benefits her honest and trusting personality as well.  Layla, November's roommate, was very secretive and slightly standoff-ish when we first meet her, but after a while once November earned her trust, she was caring.  Compared to her twin brother, Ash was the exact opposite.  He's friendly, charming, and deceitful.  However the twins are both loyal, not only to each other but to November as well because of the situation she’s in.  Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I can’t wait to see what happens next in Hunting November!

If you’re interested in checking out Adriana’s pages, the links are below along with places you can get the book.

Thank you all so much for reading. I hope you enjoyed my review/suggestion. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment