Friday, April 27, 2018

How to Hang A Witch by Adriana Mather - Book Review

How to Hang A Witch Book Cover
How’s it going everyone. Today, I’ll be reviewing How to Hang A Witch by Adriana Mather. I saw this book when I had just started to join the book community on Twitter and just recently on April 2nd I saw that this book was on sale. Now, I had this book in my sights for a while and I think the price has been the same for almost a year, I could be wrong, but that doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that this book contains two things that will always piqued my interest, witches and ghosts. I knew immediately after the first couple of pages I was going to love this book.

About the Book:
Title: How to Hang A Witch
Author: Adriana Mather
Release Date: July 26, 2016
Genre: Coming of Age
Pages: 370

My Rating: 5/5⭐️

Summary:
Salem, Massachusetts, is the site of the infamous witch trials and the new home of Samantha Mather. Recently transplanted from New York City, Sam and her stepmother are not exactly welcomed with open arms. Sam is the descendant of Cotton Mather, one of the men responsible for those trials—and almost immediately, she becomes the enemy of a group of girls who call themselves the Descendants. And guess who their ancestors were?

If dealing with that weren’t enough, Sam also comes face to face with a real, live (well, technically dead) ghost. A handsome, angry ghost who wants Sam to stop touching his stuff. But soon Sam discovers she is at the center of a centuries-old curse affecting anyone with ties to the trials. Sam must come to terms with the ghost and find a way to work with the Descendants to stop a deadly cycle that has been going on since the first accused witch was hanged. If any town should have learned its lesson, it’s Salem. But history may be about to repeat itself.

My Thoughts:
I loved everything about this book! This story actually helped me get out of my current reading slump which I have been and out of for months. While some girls love reading about vampires and werewolves, I prefer reading about witches and ghosts. I loved the character Sam. She's a smart, clever girl, that had the case of some very bad luck. She was a very like-able character. Even though she was afraid of the curse that she had, she was willing to do anything and everything to help break it. I did feel bad for Sam throughout the story. She was always the one being blamed whenever something bad happened and sometimes it wasn't fair because it wasn't her fault. The Descendants in the story were really well written and they were written in a way that was mysterious and scary until Sam had more interactions with them. You could tell that there was more to them in the story and how they were all tied together whether they liked each other or not. They go from blaming Sam for the bad things that happen in the town to helping her end the curse that is plaguing their families, which took a ton of convincing throughout the entire story. It all tied together perfectly.

I really liked Elijah in the story. He was the spirit that was, at first, determined to get Sam to leave until they started working together to figure out why she was cursed and how to break it. I liked that how he and Jaxon were always there for Sam even when she felt like her world was crumbling around her. Jaxon was a great character too. He was there for Sam from the very beginning, especially when he found out about her father. Jaxon knew what she might have been going through and even with everything everyone calling Sam a witch and cursed, he stuck by her every step of the way even when he didn't know what to believe.

One part in the story made me tear up was when two characters were reunited, no I won't spoil it. Throughout the entire story, I never knew what was going to happen next! It was a mystery to me and it kept me intrigued until the very end. The one thing that I never put together was who the crow lady was until everything was explained at the very end. It was a story that was able to grasp my attention easily and kept me intrigued until the very end. Now, my next goal is to get my hand on her other book, Haunting the Deep. If you like books with paranormal entities, history, and adventure and mystery, then I definitely suggest reading this book!

If you're interested in checking out Adriana's pages, the links are below along with places you can get the book.

Thank you all so much for reading this, I hope you enjoyed this review/suggestion.  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment