Friday, September 8, 2017

My Demon (Volume 1) by S.A. Hunter - Book Review

My Demon (Volume 1) Book Cover
How’s it going everyone! Today, I’ll be reviewing My Demon (Volume 1) by S.A. Hunter.  I had seen this author a few times when I was on iBooks.  When I saw this book, I decided to give it a try.  I was still in my romance book reading phase when I found this book back in March, so I thought and hoped it would be a great read.  Now, it's taken me forever to write this review because I didn’t know what to say until now.  Which is why this review is getting posted way later than I anticipated.  Anyways, let’s continue with my review.

About the Book:
Title: My Demon (Volume 1)
Author: S.A. Hunter
Release Date: October 1, 2015
Series: Noble Academy #1
Genre: Romance
Pages: 192

My Rating: 2/5 ⭐️

Summary:
Sarah Smith doesn’t want to go to Noble Academy. She has grown up in its shadows and knows she doesn’t belong. Noble is the school for the children of the richest and the most influential families in the Western hemisphere. Her family is neither of those. Her father is a handyman, and her mother a cook. They work at Noble. Because they cannot afford to send her anywhere else, Sarah is admitted to this rarefied institution. She doesn’t expect to fit in or to have an especially good time, but then again, she doesn’t expect Damien West either.

The West Corporation funds Noble and the only son of this powerful family has enrolled. Damien West has been kicked out of three prep schools, while a fourth burned to the ground. He's smart, cruel, and unbalanced. And for some reason, he decides to sit beside Sarah Smith in every single class.

My Thoughts:
I kind of have mixed feelings about this book.  When I was introduced to Damien, I didn't really like him all that much.  I did started to like him every once in a while when he was nice, but his personality kind of flipped back and forth throughout the story.  He's the kind of character that I think was created for readers to love to hate?  One thing that I wished this story had was stronger parental figures.  At the beginning of the story, I didn't care for how the parents acted.   I kind of wish that they would have taken a stand when it came to protecting their daughter, Sarah, versus allowing the school that they worked for and one of the students, Damien, who was rich, to walk all over them.

One character that I was surprised about was Angela.  She was Damien's girlfriend in the story.  In the beginning, I thought she was going to be the mean girl that might pick on Sarah, but she wasn’t.  She ended up being Sarah's best friend in the story and I was happy about that.  Angela was nice, kind, and a very understanding character.

This book did take place over a ten-day period, from Monday to Wednesday, the following week.  I think this book was a little too fast paced.  I think this book could have taken place over a longer period of time instead of the ten-day period it did.  There was so much happening so fast in the story that it seemed a little chaotic, which did make me a little lost at times.  I think the story could have worked better if it were spread out over time, which could help make the story seem a little bit more realistic.  I say this because the main character, Sarah, had a hit man placed on her to take her out just because she was an acquaintance of Damien only knowing him for a couple of days, which kind of didn't make sense.  After seeing all of the 4/5 or 5/5 star reviews for this book, I had high hopes for My Demon (Volume 1).  Sadly, I don’t think this book was for me.

Thank you so much for reading this, I hope you enjoyed reading this review.  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment