Friday, June 30, 2017

Wicked Luck by Shannon L. Maynard - Book Review

Wicked Luck Book Cover
How’s it going everyone! Today I’ll be reviewing Wicked Luck by Shannon L. Maynard.  I found this book on iBooks when I was searching to see all books that were published by CleanTeen Publishing, making my TBR pile bigger because I love finding different kinds of books to read.  When I saw this book, the cover made me very curious and when I read the description, I was extremely interested in seeing what this book was going to be.  Let me say, before I go into full detail, this book was amazing.

About the Book:
Title: Wicked Luck
Author: Shannon L. Maynard
Release Date: June 23, 2015
Series: Wicked Luck Series #1
Genre: Contemporary
Pages: 307
AgeYA (Young Adult Audience)

My Rating: 5/5 ⭐️

Summary:
How can Ava Starr’s worst nightmare be Dax Miller’s dream come true?

For the past three years, Dax has been stranded on Lamarai Island with his stepsister and two tribes of cannibals. But now a beautiful girl named Ava has washed up on shore. After secretly reading her journal, he believes she is a perfect match to the girl of his dreams. He’s determined not only to keep her alive, but also to win over her heart by convincing her to forget about her past and the secrets that continue to haunt her.

Ava Starr has always been the epitome of bad luck, but she never imagined she would wake up and find herself on a cannibal-infested island with no memory of how she got there. The last thing she remembers is boarding a plane with her pilot boyfriend, Preston. But now he and his crew are missing, and she must find him before a tribe of hungry cannibals finds him first. But Ava’s troubles have followed her to Lamarai, where once again she’s surrounded by danger and people who want her dead. She finds herself caught in a web of deceit and soon discovers the answers to her mysterious past can be found in the most unlikely of places, and that no one is actually who they seem to be.

My Thoughts:
I loved reading this book so much.  You flip between two perspectives in this story, Dax and Ava and every once in a while Ava's boyfriend, Preston.  Dax has been trapped on this island for three years with his step-sister, Roxy, while Ava washes ashore after a mysterious plane crash.  This book was very easy to get into and one of the things that I like about this book was how it was different than most of the young adult stories that I've read recently.  One part that freaked me out in this story was the cannibals.  My first thought when I saw this in the book was, 'this will be interesting'.  The cannibals in this story were probably the most terrifying out of everything in the story.  I liked how the author gave readers the background info about Ava and how it led to her ending up on the island.  It gave you a way to understand her character a little bit better besides readers assuming that she just ended up in an accident without any explanation as to why.

Now, I wished Ava had been smart and listened to Dax.  He told her point blank about the two cannibal tribes on the island and how they wouldn't hesitate to eat her, but she still ran away from him and refused to stay put.  It made me this think that Dax was suppose to play the knight in dented armor in the story, which worked for his character, but Ava should have known better after the multiple warnings.  This book is very fast paced and I think that it was perfect.  It fit the story very well.  It was able to focus on the details of the story and still move along with the story without certain scenes dragging out.  The author was able to make her point during these scenes and move on, but still reference the important pieces of information later when needed, which was a detail that I liked about this story.  This book also gave me a mystery kind of feeling.  With the diary entries that Dax reads throughout the story, it put me in Ava's mind that led to her ending up on the island.  In addition to a couple side comments from Dax, I think it built his personality on how he thinks and reacts throughout the story.  I had a hard time putting this book down and when I finished it, I didn't want it to end.  I definitely suggest reading this book.  It will keep you hooked until the very end.

If you're interested in checking out her pages, the links are below along with places you can get the book.


Thank you guys so much for reading this, I hope you enjoyed this review/suggestion.  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment